NT Labs Nitrite Test – Safeguarding Your Aquarium Against Harmful Nitrite Levels
Understanding Nitrite: Nitrite is a byproduct of beneficial filtration bacteria breaking down harmful ammonia excreted by fish. Although not as toxic as ammonia, nitrite poses a serious threat to fish health. It is invisible to the naked eye and is broken down into nitrate, which is less harmful to fish.
What is the Correct Nitrite Level? Zero tolerance for nitrite is crucial in aquariums. Maintain a level of zero mg/L (ppm) at all times to ensure the well-being of your fish.
What to Do if the Nitrite Level is Wrong:
- For 0.25 – 0.5 mg/l (ppm) of nitrite, add Filter Bugs.
- If nitrite levels exceed this range, conduct a substantial water change. Change 25% of the water volume for 1 mg/l (ppm) nitrite and 50% for higher levels.
- Zeolite can remove ammonia (and thus nitrite) from the water and can be recharged.
- If nitrite is detected, check other vital water quality parameters, especially pH and ammonia.
How to Use the Nitrite Test:
- Ensure the test tube is clean.
- Collect a 5 ml water sample into the test tube.
- Add 5 drops of the Nitrite reagent.
- Replace the test tube cap and shake thoroughly.
- Wait for 2 minutes, then compare the color of the sample to the provided color scale. A colorless sample indicates zero nitrite, while any hint of pink signals the presence of nitrite in the water. Disregard any color forming after the two minutes.
- The test kit reports concentration in terms of nitrogen (NO2-N) for compatibility with reported safe concentrations for fish and plants.
- If interested in the ionic concentration, multiply the result by 3.29 (NO2-N).
Trust NT Labs Nitrite Test to provide accurate measurements, allowing you to take prompt action against harmful nitrite levels. Keep your fish healthy and thriving by monitoring and managing nitrite effectively. Rely on NT Labs for reliable water testing solutions.